Penne on Tomato-Mushroom Sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes Makes about: 11 cups
Pasta dishes are the most easy and fast to prepare. I'm sure you'll enjoy this recipe and there will be no leftovers! A meal that everyone will surely love!
- 12 ounces whole-grain penne pasta
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano crushed tomatoes or you can use a freshly crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil (you can substitute it with 1-2 tablespoons of dried basil)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the penne pasta according to the package instructions. Drain well and set aside.
- Sauté the onions and mushrooms in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to turn brown and translucent. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time as needed, to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Add the garlic and thyme, and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes with their juice and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the plant milk, the cooked pasta, the basil; season with salt and pepper to taste and toss until well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve hot.