Most Important Supplement/Vitamin for Vegans
There are several people who are on a vegan diet take supplements or vitamins, though they can stay well-nourished by eating whole and plant-based foods.
Since they do not eat any animal products, such as meat, eggs and dairy, their diet is low in some nutrients that can be found in these animal products.
Here are some common supplements and its benefits.
- Vitamin B-12 is a vital vitamin needed for the metabolism, brain function, red blood cell production, and nerve tissue.
- Iron is a mineral necessary for body growth and development. Our body uses iron to make hemoglobin (protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body) and myoglobin (protein that provides oxygen to muscle).
- Vitamin K-2 activates proteins that are essential in blood clotting, heart health and calcium metabolism.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help to lower blood pressure, lessen the likelihood of heart attack and stroke, reduce triglyceride (type of fat or lipid found in the blood), decrease the chance of abnormal heart rhythm, slow the development of plaque in the arteries, and minimize the chance of sudden cardiac death in people with heart disease.
- Iodine is a mineral needed to make thyroid hormones which control the body's metabolism and many other important functions.
- Vitamin D helps control the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body. It is essential to keep bones, teeth and muscles healthy.
- Zinc is needed for our body’s immune system to fight off invading bacteria and viruses.
- Calcium is necessary in building bones and keeping them healthy. It also helps our blood to clot, heart to beat, and our muscles to contract.